Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Paula Dean's Basic Meatloaf

I tried this recipe out and loved it. No big surprise that it comes from Paula Dean. She makes great tasting food. I have been trying to find a good meatloaf recipe and right now this one ranks as the best right now in my book. I will keep trying others, but this one is delicious. Most meatloafs are pretty bland, but this one has a good flavor to it and smells yummy.
Yields: 4 - 6
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.
Topping:
Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour.

Tips:
I left out the mustard based on the suggestions from others because I am not a big fan of mustard, and it tasted wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe...I think we will try it tonight. Also LOVE the parmesan knots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! I am glad you liked the knots. That is a great recipe. I love how you can use it on other breads as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So ... when do I get to try your gourmet cooking?!?!

    ReplyDelete